How-to Stovetop Popcorn
When it came to groceries, I was fortunate enough to have parents that payed for my meals. Please note the usage of was, in that sentence. It wasn’t until I became “independent” by moving away and had to shop for food on my own, that I realized something. A few cents there and there, can REALLY add up. Going grocery shopping became more and more, excruciating as I had to re-think buying every single item. I know. I probably sound like a spoiled brat. But that is because I was a brat who didn’t know any better.
After countless of late night readings about how to budget and finding cheaper options for my groceries, I came to the realization the snacks that I purchased in my local convenience store where my biggest expense. By changing my daily granola/ gummy fruit intake to a cup-full of Stovetop Popcorn, my monthly grocery receipt almost cut down by 30%. My wallet thanks me now.
So, making popcorn is plain simple. It required more utensils, as I am aware we are all accustomed to putting a popcorn bag into the microwave. But popcorn not only is cheap and simple, it is actually healthier. Without further due, here is how I made stovetop popcorn.
Ingredients and Utensils-
- 1-2 coconut oil tbsp.
- Salt of your choice.
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels.
- 1 pot with lid.
- Anything in which you can use it to steer the popcorn.
- First you add your coconut oil and a few kernels into your pot. Cover them and let them rest in medium heat, UNTIL they pop.
NOTE: Take those kernels out so they don’t burn!
2. Add the rest of the kernels into the pot, and take the pot away from the heat for 30 sec.
TIP: take this 30 sec to steer the kernels in order for them to be evenly covered in oil.
3. Place the pot back into the heat, and watch them POP!
4. Pour the popcorn into desired container and add salt
Benefits of Stovetop Popcorn-
- They are cheaper than microwavable popcorn.
- YOU choose your condiments.
- They don’t contain the synthetic flavors and chemicals that store bought popcorn contain.
- It’s fun to make!